Behaviour & Safety Policies
STEM MINDS strives to provide the highest level of safety and enjoyment to all participants and staff during its camps and programs. We have developed this Behaviour & Safety Policy to support this mission and make programs and camp enjoyable for everyone.
- Coarse language, bullying, non-compliance, aggressive or inappropriate behaviour, and behaviour that significantly impacts the safety or enjoyment of staff or other participants are not permitted in programs or at camp.
- All parents/guardians are responsible for discussing appropriate behaviours with their children.
- Behaviours that pose a safety risk to the individual or others may result in temporary or immediate removal from activities or programs.
- No work created by participants should feature violent or otherwise inappropriate themes.
Our staff will make every effort to accommodate your child’s needs and integrate them into programming. However, actions or behaviours that do not adhere to this policy will be documented, reported, and could result in the permanent removal of a participant from programs or camp. We reserve the right to remove and withdraw your child from the program should their behaviour cause harm to themselves, participants, staff or property.
Progressive Discipline Policy
STEM MINDS promotes a progressive discipline model. Through progressive discipline, staff determine appropriate consequences and/ or supports to help participants improve their behaviour, while taking into account their individual circumstances. The goal is to help prevent inappropriate behaviour from happening again. Within this context, more serious consequences may be considered for inappropriate behaviour that escalates or is repeated.
Staff will consider a range of options to determine the most appropriate way to respond to each situation and help the participant learn from their choices. These will include different supports and consequences.
Supports could include:
- a conversation with the participant
- a review of expectations for the participant’s behaviour
- a change of activity or setting
Consequences could include:
- Revocation of access to certain technology, equipment, or materials
- Change of seating
- “Time Out”
- Behaviour Reflection Assignment
- Conversation with parent/guardian
- Expulsion from the camp/program
Safe & Responsible Technology Use
All technological equipment required to participate in STEM MINDS programs and camps will be provided by STEM MINDS. Participants are not required to bring their own equipment with them to programs or camps.
In the event that a participant does bring a technological device, STEM MINDS, its staff, and its vendors are not liable for any loss, theft, or damage that may occur. Participants are only permitted to use their personal devices during times specified by staff.
It is expected that technology and technology services supplied by STEM MINDS will be used in an appropriate, responsible and safe manner. This includes, but is not limited to, all technology provided by STEM MINDS and personal technologies connecting to STEM MINDS network and accessing STEM MINDS technology services such as the internet, collaboration tools and digital learning platforms.
Use of personal devices on networks other than the STEM MINDS network when used in STEM MINDS learning and program environment(s) are also subject to these policies and procedures.
All participants in STEM MINDS programs and camps who are given access to STEM MINDS technology and technology services are required to know and abide by the Safe & Responsible Technology Use Policy.
In the event of a breach of this policy, STEM MINDS will take appropriate measures to address the situation. This may include, but is not limited to:
- disciplinary action (please refer to our Behaviour & Safety Poloicy for more information)
- temporary confiscation of personal devices to be returned promptly at the end of a program
- temporary or permanent revocation of access to STEM MINDS equipment and/or technology services
Makerscience: Glue Gun Safety
Please note that tools that may be used by students as part of our “maker science” activities that are found in our camps and select school programs including our “STEAM Explorers” program include glue guns.
All tools used by students in our programming are accompanied by detailed training for safe use. For using a glue gun, these safety steps include:
- Our staff review and provide a copy of a safety infographic to all students during the first class/first use, which outlines the steps students need to follow in order to keep themselves safe during the program and includes information about glue guns specifically. Please click here to download and view our safety infographic.
- Our staff do a detail review and tutorial of using hot glue guns safely each time they are being used in the program/activity before participants have access to the materials
- All glue gun usage is closely supervised by our instructors. Participants are frequently reminded that in the event they are not comfortable using a glue gun or require assistance, instructors are there to support them.
If this tool is not something you are comfortable having your child use, please make a note of this in the notes section of your order.
Registration Consent and Waivers
Our Intake Form has been integrated into our registration process. Please find below all relevant policies and procedures formerly outlined in the Intake Form.
Consent for Emergency Medical Care
While every effort will be made to reach parents/guardians in the event of a medical emergency, we require your permission to authorize any Doctor to give necessary treatment in the event of such as emergency. I hereby grant permission for STEM MINDS Corp.™ to take whatever steps necessary to obtain
emergency medical care. These steps may include but are not limited to the following:
1. Attempt to contact a parent/guardian
2. Attempt to contact the child’s physician
3. Attempt to contact emergency contact person
If we cannot contact any of the above, we will call an ambulance and if necessary have the child taken to the emergency department of the hospital, in the company of a staff member. Any expense incurred under circumstances listed above will be paid by the child’s family.
STEM MINDS CORP.™ WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INCIDENT THAT MAY OCCUR AS A RESULT OF FALSE INFORMATION GIVEN AT THE TIME OF ENROLMENT.
Permission to Use Photograph and Video
I hereby grant to STEM MINDS Corp.™, its representatives and employees, the right to take photographs and videos of my child(ren) registered via this form and/or me and hereby consent to the use of such photographs and/or videos in STEM MINDS Corp.’s™ marketing and promotional materials, in print and/or electronically. I acknowledge and agree that STEM MINDs Corp.™ shall own all copyright in such pictures and videos. I agree that STEM MINDS Corp.™ may use such photographs and videos with or without our names for any marketing and/or promotional activity, including without limitation its Website, newspaper advertisements and social media without any compensation being payable and without any additional consent or
authorization from us.
Liability Waiver (Mandatory Acceptance)
I, the undersigned, for myself and sponsored dependent and guest, assume full responsibility for death, or any other injuries or damages which may occur to me or my sponsored guests or dependents in, on, or about the premises of the facility and do hereby fully and forever release and discharge STEM MINDS Corp. employees, officers, agents, servants and independent contractors from any and all suits, claims damages cost and expenses of every kind, in conjunction with the use of the facility and equipment thereof except that arising out of the sole negligence or willful misconduct of STEM MINDS Corp.
I, the undersigned, for myself and my sponsored dependents and guests further agree to use all related equipment, props and activity area properly and leave them in good condition. I, the undersigned, understand the activities which will be held during the program and have had my questions answered to my satisfaction. I, the undersigned, certify that the information I have given on my registration form is complete and accurate. By my signature below, I agree to the provisions of this Release of Liability Waiver for myself, for my sponsored dependents and guests, and for my heirs and assigns intending to be legally bound.
Consent to Communicate via Email (Mandatory Acceptance)
STEM MINDS uses email and other means electronic telecommunication to distribute information about the programs and activities. In accordance with Canada’s anti-spam legislation, we require your permission to communicate with you via email or other means of electronic telecommunications.
By registering my child(ren) in STEM MINDS programs, you are providing STEMMINDS with consent to communicate with you via electronic means of telecommunications. If, at any time, you wish to revoke this consent, please state such intention in writing to STEM MINDS at email@example.com
General Policies and Procedures
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event of inclement weather, STEM MINDS reserves the right to cancel programs. A variety of factors are considered in the cancellation of programs including:
- School bus cancellations and/or school closures by our partnering school boards
- Environment Canada weather advisories and warnings
- The closure of municipal buildings, facilities and programs
Programs cancelled due to inclement weather are non-refundable. Make-up classes will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In the event that make-up classes cannot be accommodated, a refund or credit towards another program for the amount of the missed class will be provided. Please note that this policy only applies to classes that are missed due to inclement weather and will not apply to classes missed due to personal illness, vacation, etc.
Notice of program cancellation due to inclement weather will be sent via email to the address provided by participants upon registration. Notice of program cancellation will also be posted on our Facebook page and on the homepage of our website. Notification of class cancellation will occur a minimum of 2 hours prior to the start of a program. If you have questions regarding our inclement weather policy, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 647-846-3154
Cancellation and Refund Policy
In order to request a refund, please email us at email@example.com with your name, child’s name, and order number. A full refund for a program may be provided prior to the start of the first class of a program or prior to the start of the second class of any program session. Refunds requested after the start of the second class of any program session will not be accommodated. Partial refunds for missed classes will not be accommodated. Refunds will be processed as either (a) a direct refund to the original method of payment or (b) a cheque.
Additional Payment-Related Fees
Non-sufficient funds fee – If a cheque is returned due to non-sufficient funds, a fee of $35 will be applied to each cheque returned.
Terms and Conditions for Registration in STEM MINDS programs:
I, the undersigned, agree to the following:
1. To enroll my child(ren) at STEM MINDS Programs.
2. To provide STEM MINDS with all fees prior to the dates they are due.
3. To notify STEM MINDS in advance if any person other than the parent/guardian is picking up my
4. To advise STEM MINDS if there are any changes in the family relationship, including any changes to the
custody/access of my child/children.
5. I understand that absences due to illnesses or holidays and closures due to severe weather conditions
and/or natural disasters are not exempt from payment.
6. To keep my child/children from STEM MINDS programs if there is any question of illness; to notify STEM
MINDS about any serious illness; and to call/inform STEM MINDS if my child/children will be absent
from the program.
7. That permission is granted to call a physician or ambulance in case of an emergency.
8. To bring my child(ren) to the program on time and pick up my child(ren) on time.
9. Agreed and follow all the terms, policies and procedures stated above
10. Extended care must be indicated and requested upon confirmation of registration. No changes,
cancellations or refunds will be made after registration completed.
11. It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that our child/children’s immunization record is
always up to date.
12. STEM MINDS uses email and other means electronic telecommunication to distribute information
about the programs and activities. In accordance with Canada’s anti-spam legislation, we require
your permission to communicate with you via email or other means of electronic telecommunications.
By registering my child(ren) in STEM MINDS programs, you are providing STEM MINDS with consent
to communicate with you via electronic means of telecommunications. If, at any time, you wish to
revoke this consent, please state such intention in writing to STEM MINDS at firstname.lastname@example.org